Wednesday, May 27, 2009


Custer County, a Cheyenne-Arapaho Reservation was ironically named in honor of George Armstrong Custer (1839-1876), a United States Army cavalry commander.

THE STORY: In Weatherford, the spirit of a murdered woman separated from her baby has reportedly returned in search of her child. The bridge near the site of her murder is known as “Dead Woman’s Crossing,” and it is believed by many that her ghost haunts the area. Katy James disappeared in July 1905, after filing for divorce from her husband and leaving to stay with relatives in another town. Her father hired a detective to find her, and while he could find no trace of Katy, he did find a woman who had seen her after she left. Katy met Fannie Norton, a prostitute, on the train, and went to stay with Fannie and her relatives. They left in a buggy the next morning, saying they would be back in a few hours, but only Fannie returned. Fannie left Katy’s baby at a nearby farm and fled the area. The detective tracked Fannie down, but she claimed she had no responsibility in Katy’s disappearance. Katy, she said, had met a man and left with him. Fannie died, reportedly by poisoning herself, and a few weeks later Katy’s body was found. It was determined that Fannie had murdered Katy during their buggy ride in order to rob her, and Katy’s husband received custody of their child and Katy’s estate. Many people, however, believe Katy’s husband hired Fannie to kill her. It is rumored that Katy’s spirit still lingers at the site where she was murdered, searching for her child. This location has become a very popular party place for college students. Reportedly, at midnight one can hear the sound of a woman crying for her child, as well as the sound of wagon wheels.
EVIDENCE: This story was originally researched by Susan Woolf Brenner, a student in Weatherford. She wrote an article on Katy James that appeared in the Chronicles of Oklahoma: Volume LX (Fall 1982) titled "Dead Woman's Crossing: The Legacy of a Territorial Murder". While there is confirmation on historical events, stories of the haunting remain anecdotal. LINK:


HISTORY: Located at 602 East College in Guthrie, Oklahoma the Mason's Guthrie Children's Home (Dominion House) served as a children's home in the 1920's providing a place of refuge, warm meals, warm beds, a religious education and even an indoor swimming pool, with the added opportunity of being educated by the public schools. It gave many children a new chance at life, during the years it was up and running. In 1978, the state of Oklahoma voted to have a foster care system using small family units, to give the children a more personal home life. In 1978, the home closed, and was vacant until 2000, when it was rescued from its deplorable condition by a man and his family, and renovated to have a new purpose in the community. THE LEGEND: When the building was abandoned, people reported seeing apparitions appearing and disappearing in the rooms as the people peeked in the windows of the building. Construction workers hired to renovate the building, reported hearing unexplained footsteps, the feeling of being watched and hearing strange noises and crying. Throughout the years, this home was blessed with many fine caregivers and staff, however there are rumors about caregivers who didn't have the patience or wisdom to deal with hard to handle children. Acts of abuse and cruelty occured. Some report that there was a nurse who killed herself in the belltower. A dark shadow has been seen in the bell tower, and as been known to hover around people who had broken in the building when it was abandoned. Another tale describes a cruel headmistress who beat a 6 year old girl to death. Several eye witnesses have seen an apparition of a little girl who appears and pleads for protection. The headmistress was also said to have buried four boys in the basement. It was reported by some that there were some graves in the backyard, seen there when the property was abandoned. There are also stories of dedicated staff members who remain in the afterlive still looking after the children. Sounds of crying and screaming children in emotional pain have been heard, perhaps an impression of the negative feelings felt so long ago. EVIDENCE: Anecdotal. LINK:

Located at 1016 W. Warner, Guthrie, Oklahoma this three story Greek Revival Victorian style mansion was built in 1907. The third floor housed the main ballroom and a play area, with a closet used as a storage place for toys. It was built by F.E. Houghton, a wealthy man with a family of 12 children. In the 1920's, the mansion was transformed into a boarding house. It later became a funeral home. In 1986, the Luker family bought the mansion, renovated it into charming bed and breakfast. This location also hosts murder-mystery weekends. THE LEGEND: The story goes that Little Augusta Houghton died at the age of 8 when the maid gave her the wrong medication to combat the child's whooping cough. She is said to haunt the mansion. But diligent research revealed that Augusta was found to have lived a full life. Nevertheless, witnesses have reported hearing footsteps of a child that can be heard pattering up and down the stairways. Around 10:00 pm, a child's footsteps could be heard on the back staircase leading to the third floor playroom. The Lukers would find the children's toys strewn all over the playroom floor, even when Mrs. Luker put a lock on the closet. Guests in one room on the second floor report feeling their faces patted and tugs on their feet. Others report sounds like a bowling ball moving across the ceiling of the second story. Maids have seen a male entity in a tall top hat, dressed in an old-fashioned black suit, hanging out behind the heating system in the basement. Although the owners have established a no-smoking policy, guests report the smell of cigar smoke and say that they can see it in the air as well. One guest reported that when she went to bed, she left the ceiling fan light on because she couldn't turn it off, then felt a heavy presence climb up on the foot of her bed and turn off the light for her. EVIDENCE: The Oklahoma Ghost Patrol reports that they found photographic evidence of orbs, but warned that they had information suggesting the manifestations may be staged. The OGP also reported that the owners have been charging large sums of money to paranormal investigation teams going there to investigate as well as seeking a lot of media attention for their "paranormal" business. LINK: Oklahoma Ghost Patrol

THE STORY: The Logan County Sheriff's Office at 216 S Broad in Guthrie, Oklahoma has maintained a detention center since 1898. During the early 1890s, noted lawman and gunman James Masterson served as a county Deputy Sheriff for Logan County. Suicides by inmates, generally hangings in the kitchen or inside the jail cells are on record. On May 14, 1903 Jailer Jerry Emerson was shot and killed by a prisoner making his escape from the jail aftera woman who was infatuated with the suspect had smuggled him the gun he used to make his escape. Odd noises have been reported at night. One witness reports seeing apparitions appear in the cameras faced into the cells. Witnesses have reported also seeing apparitions walking into the kitchen, a man hanging from a rope in the kitchen, objects moving by themselves, and a door and locking on its own behind workers. EVIDENCE: Anecdotal.

The Logan County Memorial Hospital located at the intersection of 19th street and Warner avenue in Guthrie, Oklahoma was built in 1946 and shut down in the late 1960's. Residents say this abandoned building is rumored to be haunted. An apparition has been seen in third-floor windows. A general, very strong feeling of fear, doom and terror is present at the hospital, and according to witnesses becomes incredibly strong when photographs are taken. Mary Roberts, a Guthrie resident said, "My nephew who was 16 went inside once, and saw a pentagram on the basement floor, and they heard some scary thing. He came home crying, he swore he'd never go there." Guthrie resident April Barnett said, "We've seen a few things, and sometimes I've heard a few things but that could just be me. We've seen lights on upstairs." Guthrie Police Chief Damon Devereaux warned that the building is structurally unsafe and that trespassers would be prosecuted. Devereaux stated that there are live cameras set up inside the building that dispatchers watch from time to time, and many people do watch the web-cams. EVIDENCE: Basically all paranormal activities that have been reported are limited to figures and shadows. This building has been investigated by many of the Oklahoma paranormal teams and has even used this site as an ongoing research site. Due to many break-ins and upcoming renovations no teams will be allowed to enter anymore. LINK: If you want to view the web-cams inside the hospital go to:

HISTORY: The two story red brick depot was built in 1903 in Guthrie, Oklahoma and stayed in operation until 1979 when Amtrak's lone star from Chicago to Houston being dropped from the timetable. In 1998 the northern portion of the building that once housed the Harvey House Restaurant was restored and now houses another restaurant. Soon after the rest of the building would start to be restored and most has been finished. They are still working on the upstairs rooms above the Southern section of the depot, these are the rooms that the Harvey Girls would stay in. Today the Depot can be rented out for weddings and other special events. THE STORY: The most famous of it's hauntings is a woman in Victorian dress who has been seen looking longingly out of one of the upstairs windows as trains pass. It is believed that she is Pearl Harvey, the wife of the famous Fred Harvey who was responsible for the "Harvey House Restaurant". These were well ran and very clean restaurants that were housed in railroad stations. At that time these restaurants were very unsanitary at railroad stations, making the Harvey House Restaurants very popular. "Pearl" is said to have really enjoyed her time at the Guthrie Depot and even thinking of it almost as a home away from home. The room she is spotted in was most likely the room she would have stayed in when spending time at the Depot. EVIDENCE: Anecdotal.

THE STORY: This Federal Prison was built in 1892 in Guthrie, Oklahoma and was the first in the Midwest. Labeled the “Black Jail” by inmates, the eighteen inch thick walls of dark limestone and brick was a penitentiary that was rumored to be non-escapable back in the days of the Wild West. These would be the rough and wild bandits of the West. The two-story structure housed no more than ninety prisoners at a time, two levels assembled including the complete basement where the unruly convicts were held in solitary confinement. Some it's most famous inmates include The Dalton Gang and Bill Doolin. After the prison would close in the early 1900s the Samaritan Foundation would house their activists and radicals along with their families in the building. The jail was shut down in the late 1990's by the Department of Human Services. A figure has been seen in the hallway and is believed to be the spirit of James Phillips. On June 1907, Phillips was the first white man sentenced to be hanged at the prison for the murder of a local man. According to the State Capital News Paper and prison records, Phillips was to die on a mid-June morning across the street of Noble Avenue. Reported by guards, Phillips was observing the construction with a deal of great dread and angst, and then all of a sudden he abruptly fell backwards onto his bunk, dying instantly without a sound or even a word of warning. According to witness accounts a young woman’s voice can be heard singing throughout the main level of the building. She has been reported to wear a long printed dress and sports a large brimmed hat with gloves. The woman has only been seen by a select few in the town. The woman has been noticed outside of the prison walking the grounds and on occasion attempting to cross the street of Noble Avenue. The woman appears on occasion, usually at dusk, and alone. EVIDENCE: The jail was investigated by G.H.O.U.L.I. (Ghosts, Haunts of Oklahoma and Urban Legend Investigations). Two EVP's were collected by Tonya Hacker during their investigation. Click here for EVP #1 & Click here for EVP #2.


THE STORY: One day long ago a baby had drowned while parents were picnicking. It is said that if you drive over Crybaby Bridge in Pryor, Oklahoma at night you can hear a baby crying. The bridge has since been torn down, but some residents claim that a faint noise of a baby crying can be heard either coming from the woods near the site of the former bridge or below where the bridge once stood. There are a number of other quaint old bridges in the area. The 9th Street Bridge in Pryor is also rumored to be haunted by a ghost that will let few unsuspecting people see it. EVIDENCE: Anecdotal. There are multiple instances of the urban legend of the Crybaby Bridge across the United States. Link:

THE STORY: Located in Pryor, Oklahoma, where more that 50 people were killed during the tornado that struck on April 27, 1942. The tornado ranks as the fifth deadliest in Oklahoma history. Originally named "Coo-Y-Yah", Cherokee for "huckleberry", the city was later renamed Pryor Creek, then shortened by the US Postal Service to "Pryor". Local folklore holds that pool balls flying off tables, balls and tables found rearranged in the morning. One resident reports that the paranormal activity occurs at the location of the original pool hall, now a diner, and not at the current location of Side Pockets Poolhall. EVIDENCE: Photographic evidence.

THE STORY: According to locals, many years before it was a military school it was a orphanage. A tornado hit the orphanage on April 27, 1942 and killed many of the children who lived there. The Thunderbird Youth Academy in Pryor, Oklahoma was launched in September of 1993 under the National Guard Bureau, as a three-year federally funded pilot program. Permanent funding was obtained in September 1996 when the state of Oklahoma allocated funds to support the program. The cuirriculum draws upon a "quasi-military" approach. Two quiet friendly spirits are said to have been observed wandering the campus. The third platoon building is reported to be haunted by a child named Hector. Other residents have reported paranormal activity in a storage room near the nurses station. Other TYA residents have reported lights going on an off, a ball rolling across the floor, shadowy figures moving across hallways, etc. According to one witness if you are awake at night you can here the talking and laughing of children. The witness reported being awakened at night to see a small girl standing next to his bunk. There are different legends about Hector told by residents, including that he was killed by the cook at the orphage and fed to the other children, and that he was hung by the custodian. In all accounts Hector was reported to have been a "difficult" child. EVIDENCE: Numerous first hand eye witness accounts reported by former TYA residents.


THE STORY: There is another reportedly haunted theater located at 110 W. Main, in the city of Pawhuska, in Osage County. This building is said to be haunted by the ghost of Sappho Constantine Brown, the beautiful daughter of the theater owner. The theater was closed in 1970, after many profitable years. In 1987, a group of concerned citizens led by Eileen Monger, began a long, tedious renovation. It is now complete, with a live stage in Greek Revival Style and a seating capacity of 589 and outstanding accoustics. The theatre is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the National League of Historic Theatres. When restoration began in 1987 some 100 years after it was built, workmen claimed to hear phantom footsteps and saw an apparition of the girl. The theater was built as a hotel, The Pawhuska House, but underwent a transformation after C.C. Constantine purchased it in 1911 and embarked on a dream to turn it into the finest opera house in the Southwest. The beautiful theater has remarkable acoustics. According to witnesses, sounds of a barroom brawl can be heard in the historic theater. EVIDENCE: Anecdotal.


Payne County was opened to settlement in the Oklahoma land run of 1889. The land run took place April 22, 1889; overnight businesses sprang up, schools and churches were built, and farmers began planting crops. In December of 1890, the state's land grant university, Oklahoma A&M, was established in Stillwater. Oklahoma A&M is now Oklahoma State University, which is the county's largest industry.

THE STORY: Near the city of Cushing in Payne County, this haunted location that has been dubbed Ghost Hollow. Located about a mile north of the Cimarron River, in the late 1800's Ghost Hollow was an ideal spot for hanging outlaws. According to legend there was an old elm tree and a sycamore there where lawbreakers were often strung up. The elm tree is said to still stand today. According to legend, an innocent man was hanged there in 1887 and the next day, all of the bark mysteriously fell off of the tree. From that night on, at the time of the full moon, the tree is said to glow an eerie, white color. The natural effects of having no bark in the light of the moon. EVIDENCE: Anecdotal.


THE FACTS: Although the final graduating class at Norfolk High had only 5 graduates, the 11 room brick school closed its doors in 1958. The school grew up in wealth surrounded by a panorama of glistening oil tanks near Cushing. The school was built in 1922 in Payne County. The school has enjoyed a colorful record, heavily fringed in oil boom wealth of the early 1920’s. Oil strikes and an upsurge in rural population in the area created a need for a high school, and in 1922 a small, frame building went up. In 1925 a fire reduced the school to rubble, and caused the school to rebuild with a more up-to-date building. In 1926 they constructed the still standing brick structure with 11 rooms, gymnasium, auditorium, workshops and dressing rooms. The teaching staff was increased to seven, with a full time superintendent. A full fledged athletic program also was inaugurated and special classroom equipment was installed. Norfolk soon became a school to be envied by its city cousins. Then with the passing of the oil play subsided, and the round-bellied oil tanks ringing the school echoed fading dreams and was closed due to financial problems and low enrollment. The building remains abandoned. THE STORY: According to local legend two children were trapped in the basement during the fire in 1925. It is said that the voices of children calling out for help can be heard in the basement today. EVIDENCE: Anecdotal


THE STORY: One of several bridges in Oklahoma possessing very similar haunting stories, this Crybaby Bridge is located in Alderson, Oklahoma. The population of Alderson was 261 during the 2000 census. Locals have told the story of hearing a baby's cry from beneath what once was a single lane ironwork bridge late at night and even some sightings of what appears to be a faintly glowing image of a woman hovering just above the rocky floor of the creek. A variation of the story maintains that in the late 1940's a backwoods man raped his daughter several times and instead of keeping the babies she threw them over the bridge into the North Boggy Creek. Legend Has it that if you go to this bridge and stand at the edge of it you can hear the babies crying. DOCUMENTATION: Anecdotal. There are numerous instances of this urban legend which may be found in multiple locations across North America:


THE STORY: The ghost of a female having a cross engraved into her nose has on several occasions been seen in Glenwood Park at midnight reading a book. According to Ada residents, this ghost is the tormented soul of a long gone local person. EVIDENCE: Anecdotal.

THE STORY: According to local legend, between 1:00 am and 2:00 am it is said that headlights will follow you after you turn off of Highway 48 to Kalihoma Indian Reservation road. Traveling west on this road heading towards Highway 1, if you speed up, headlights will speed up, if you slow down, the follower will slow down. As you turn onto Highway 1, the car will stop, and then turn back to Kalihoma Indian Reservation.
EVIDENCE: Anecdotal Update. Jeremy Haddenham submitted this account which he said occurred in the summer of 1998: "My best friend Dave and I were just driving around late at night (12 am - 1 am) out of boredom. As were heading down this old highway, we noticed a car behind us that was coming up fast. We never noticed it before because its a long straight shot for a good distance. Soon it was right behind us and we thought we were going to get pulled over. All of the sudden the headlights started flashing from dim to bright. It was as if someone wanted us to pull over.. I even turned around to look to see if it was a county sheriff. The headlights were round on this car. Not rectangular like a more modern vehicle. We decided not to stop because it was clear it was not law enforcement. As we approached the main highway, the car backed off, turned around, and went the opposite direction.I never really thought much about this... Until I read stories from others describing exactly what happened to us that night. It still sends chills up my spine. There IS a ghost car out there! It's a black car and it's old. I'd say it's a late 50's early 60's Ford Fairlane or something very close to that body style. I could tell by the front grill, placement of the headlights, and the shape of the front fenders."

THE STORY: Kullihoma is located east of Ada, the county seat of Pontotoc County. Kullihoma is not a reservation. It is a 1500 acre tribal reserve that at one time was actively used as a stomp ground, school and community. Located about 10 miles east of Ada, Kullihoma has become a favorite gathering place for reuniting Chickasaws. It is said that one can see bouncing balls of bright light floating around the tribal reserve. Locals claim these balls of light are actually little people, about two or three feet tall, usually seen by young Indian children if they were called to help these little fellows. They never die even when the children grow old---they simply seek out another person to train to doctor or just be obnoxious to anyone around! EVIDENCE: Anecdotal.

HISTORY: In the years between 1913 and 1936, East Central University (ECU) and the Smithsonian in Washington D.C. were vying for a 250,000,000 year-old petrified tree. The Callixylon Tree, discovered on nearby Ada farmland, was the largest example of a petrified tree at the time of discovery. Dr. David White, head of the U.S. Geological Survey examined the fossil and decided it should be displayed at the Smithsonian. ECU supporters raised money for erecting the tree fragments into a tree shape and moving it to the ECU campus. Dr. White died before enough funds had been raised to move the tree to the Smithsonian and as a result the tree was given to East Central University. The Callixylon tree was formally accepted by President Linscheid in March, 1936. THE STORY: It is rumored that many years ago, members of an occult group would meet at the tree and sacrifice animals and humans. Late at night, it is still said that you can hear odd sounds, and see abnormal lights and shadowy figures. EVIDENCE: Anecdotal. One witness gives a variation of the legend, telling of a little girl was taken to the tree, beaten and sacrificed. He maintains that there is a little girl who wanders that area, and that there are little footprints in the cement on the sidewalk. He claims that late at night as you go up the trail, you can hear and feel her.

Perhaps the most haunted location in Ada, Wintersmith Park is associated with several hauntings. (1) The ghost of a man is reported to haunt the area below the dam in Wintersmith Park. According to witnesses, he is not malignent, but would rather be left alone. The spirit is reported to be very powerful and has been there many years. (2) According to one internet source this park was once home to a few monkeys. They were kept in a below ground enclosure with a chainlink fence over the top. A few other animals remain, such as deer and peacocks. It is rumored that "devil worshippers" broke into the enclosure and "sacrificed" the monkeys. (3) The ghost of a tied up woman is frequently witnessed weeping at Ada City Dam late at night. EVIDENCE: (1) There is only anecdotal evidence regarding the "ghost". However one witness maintained that the best way to view the ghost is to take a spot up on the bridge using night vision goggles. A former employee of the park stated that during his work along the dam and creek he witnessed no paranormal activity. (2) There is evidence that monkeys once resided in the park based on statements by local residents; however, there is no evidence that devil worshippers sacrificed them. One resident of Ada stated that people were shooting the monkeys with air soft guns so the monkeys were moved, not sacrificed.